- Pasta types
The spicy bite of crushed chilli flakes revs up this creamy pasta sauce of cream, ham, mushrooms and herbs. Beautiful Italian comfort food with an extra kick of heat for a cold winter's night dinner.
288 people made this
- 450g fettuccine pasta
- 50g butter
- 80g finely diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 450g fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 6 slices of ham, chopped
- 350ml whipping cream
- 240ml pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:30min
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in the sliced mushrooms and the oregano, basil and parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated. Add the chopped ham and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cream and bring to the boil. Slowly stir in the pasta sauce and chilli flakes, blending into the cream. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced by a third and is thick.
- Place fettuccine on plates and spoon even portions of sauce over top.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(307)
Reviews in English (229)
by LORNA MB
I just finished making this dish and wow, it was great. I was worried that it would be a little bland but once the sauce simmered down it was just right. We're garlic lovers in our family so I added one more clove,I also added 1/2 a chopped green pepper. I cut back on the butter and used 3/4 cup 10% cream and 3/4 cup milk to cut back the fat content of the recipe. It was still great and the sauce was thick enough. I think next time I might add a little parmesan or mozzerella cheese to it just before taking the sauce off the stove.-15 Mar 2004
Excellent recipe!! The only change I made was to substitute 1/2 cup lite sour cream and 1/2 cup half and half for the 1 1/2 heavy cream. The sour cream adds a little zip and the combo is healthier. I also used fresh basil and parsley, which I had on hand. Fantastic!-18 Jan 2004
This was wonderful! My husband had a funny look when he saw what I was making for dinner, but after trying it he wants it again! He's even going to take the recipe to work at the firestation for the guys to try! I was trying to use up what I had on hand, so I had a few substitutions. Instead of fresh mushrooms I used canned, used penne pasta in place of fettucine, and plain evaporated milk for the cream. It was still wonderful. I can only imagine if I had actually used fresh mushrooms and real cream!-14 Feb 2003