Got some burned bits? Great job! The natural sugars in the root vegetables, along with the brown sugar, will caramelize, giving you a little bitterness to counter all that sweetness.
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 1½ pounds parsnips, peeled, cut into 4-inch pieces
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- ¼ medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Preheat oven to 450°. Toss carrots, parsnips, and oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until tender and charred in spots, 20–25 minutes.
Remove vegetables from oven, add onion, butter, bourbon, and brown sugar, and toss to coat. Roast, tossing occasionally, until sugars have caramelized and vegetables are completely softened, 8–10 minutes.
Transfer vegetables to a platter and pour any juices over.