We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
Since I got this recipe from a friend I'm no longer worried about the flood of courgettes in my garden. Jars of it also make great gifts.
99 people made this
- 1.75kg courgettes, halved and thinly sliced
- 450g onions, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 550ml white wine vinegar
- 1.2kg granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cornflour
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:30min ›Extra time:8hr chilling › Ready in:8hr55min
- Mix courgette, onion and pepper and place in a tightly-closing container overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, rinse the veg with cold water and drain well. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan or casserole, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard, celery seeds, pepper, turmeric, nutmeg and cornflour. Bring to the boil, then add the courgette mixture. Bring back to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash jars and lids well. Sterilise the jars by rinsing with boiling water from the kettle, or by boiling for 10 minutes in a pan of water. Store upside down on a clean cloth.
- Fill the jars to the top with the hot courgette mixture and screw the lids on tightly. Cool completely overnight. Store sealed jars in a cool, dark place. Store any opened or unsealed jars in the fridge.
How to sterilise jars
Learn how to sterilise jars two ways with our handy step-by-step guide and video.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(13)
Reviews in English (9)
No mention in recipe bout salting the courgetees. Relish failed and its an expensive mistake. Wasted a lot of ingredients!!-11 Sep 2011
The salt should be put on courgette overnight and rinsed off. I added it with other ingredients as described!-22 Aug 2010
My first homemade pickle, with all veg from the garden I missed the comment about salting the courgettes overnight which meant the final product was far too liquid. I added cornflour to thicken. I also added a chopped chilli pepper for tangyness-11 Sep 2010